Day three...
Yesterday we had some orientation with Mark before we went to lunch with the students at Chuo University in the cafeteria.

We set out and walked about 20-25 mins up to the university. It has been really hot and muggy here, yesterday was the hottest day in tokyo this year (I think I brought the hot weather here) The walk was really nice actually... the path we took wined it's way though a neighborhood and some land where produce was being grown. There was also a rice field next to a house that was over 100 years old.

One thing that i noticed was that wherever there was space in between buildings or walkways there was some form of greenery or a garden. There is no wasted space... There is also a parking lot for bikes which made me laugh... also the sidewalk leading up to the university is lined with bikes. Pretty much students transportation includes... your legs, a bike or a scooter


We got to the lunch table early and went to the display case where they had food displayed so you could see what you could order. I got a seafood tempora rice bowl. It was delish :) i had trouble towards the end finishing every grain of rice. (finishing my food is something that I'm really trying to work on because it's impolite to leave food un eaten) I got to meet most of the students which was a blast! I'm working on remembering names... lets see... Misaki, Kentaro (who goes by Ken) Nanako, Anna, and Natsuki I also met a lot of other students that i haven't gotten their names down yet... after about 2 hours eating and talking we headed back to the apartment to rest up for the evening.
We had a BBQ that night and also our first Bible discussion last night and it went really well. We read John 3:1-10 and took the verses and asked the students what they thought about it, and what did they understand. It was very eye opening seeing what they understood with out having the "churched background" we broke off into pairs and went through the verse and then shared with the group.

The entire discussion was in Japanese so Chris made sure that we were paired up with someone who could translate pretty well. I was paired up with Natsuki ^^ she is really sweet I like her a lot. The part that was difficult for them to understand was about being "reborn" and that concept. They had some good answers and thoughts such as being reborn as, "starting over" getting a "second chance" "changing your heart and your mind" one example that Natsuki said was like an alcoholic and wanting to get clean, it is an action that much happen to get better... That is just one of the things we talked about.

The Jet lag really hit me hard last night, my head began to feel like led and that if i closed my eyes for a min I would fall over. I admit that I did actually fall asleep on the couch while we were finishing up. The students were nice about it which was nice, they kept telling me that they remember feeling it when they came back to Japan after visiting America. I slept almost 8 hours that night... it was wonderful... :D
No comments:
Post a Comment